Minnesota's Safe Learning Plan for the 2020-21 School Year
Greetings from Breckenridge Schools:
Governor Walz announced his Safe Learning Plan for 2020-21 under Executive Order 20-82 yesterday, Thursday, July 30th. The plan details five steps required of all public schools to determine their safe learning model (see page 5 of the plan). The Governor's plan allows for localized control based on COVID data from each school district and county. Each district's plan must be approved by the local public health agency and the local school board before being made public. Please click the included link to view a pdf of the Governor’s Safe Learning Plan for 2020-21.
The Breckenridge school board, administration, and staff recognize students and parents are anxiously awaiting the announcement of our district plan. We want to assure you we are working very hard to complete the details of our plan while meeting all requirements of the new Governor's order as soon as possible. We continue to be committed to developing a plan focused on high quality instruction in an environment safe for staff and students. Our timeline is as follows:
- July 31st - August 4th - Administration and staff work on details of the three planning models all districts must have in place which include; in-person learning, hybrid learning, and distance learning.
- August 3rd and 4th - Administration meets with local public health officials to review local COVID incidence data and discuss plan options based on local data.
- August 5th - Administration presents a recommendation for Breckenridge Schools Fall Opening Plan to the Breckenridge School Board. This plan will be a recommendation based on the local COVID occurrence data at this time.
- Local and state public health officials along with the Commissioner of Education maintain the right to change our local plan if local county or regional COVID occurrence numbers change. The Minnesota Department of Health updates this county data bi-weekly. Please see page 5 of the Safe Learning Plan for 2020-21.
- August 5th - August 7th - The Minnesota State High School League announces plans for fall activities.
- August 10th - Breckenridge Schools Fall Opening Plan will be announced based on the status of local incidence data at this time. Please be aware the Minnesota Department of Health and/or the Minnesota Department of Education has the right to change our local plan if concerns arise for the safety of our students or staff.
Here's where we need your help. Based on our current COVID incidence cases today, Breckenridge has the potential for an in-person learning model for a majority of our students with the option of a distance learning model for those families who feel that is the right choice for their students. We are asking that you all continue to do what you can to keep our county incidence numbers low so our school has the option of opening with in-person learning in September.
Thank you for the amazing community support for our school. We appreciate your patience and partnership as we work through this planning phase together. Do not hesitate to contact me with questions at or (218) 643-6822.